1. You don’t have to kiss people by mistake. You just have to mean it. You just have to mean it so bad that you’ll end up asking them about their toothaches, and their postcards, and the unfinished cross-stitch of their childhood scars.
2. There will be fighting. A lot of it. About your parents, about her parents. About the time when you were too quiet that you forgot your earphones were loud enough to break porcelain. And you didn’t notice her hands shaking, almost breaking skin. Skin you swore you’ll fall unto, raindrops upon raindrops, to keep it from cracking.
3. When she cries, stay five feet away, four, three, zero, but never stay gone. She will deny you forgiveness. She will deny you her monsters, her creaking footsteps, her shower-drenched collar bones, but she will never deny you herself. You are her person. All you have to do is be there.
4. Keep her. Even when she’s a terrifying sunset, keep her. Even when she’s morose enough to be a three minute sad song played on repeat, keep her. Even when she’s breathing a lungful of dust and cobwebs, her heart strong enough to run a marathon of repeated pulses. Don’t let her go.
5. This is not a mistake. This is not a mistake. There is enough of you, and of her in this wholeness to think it not worthy. She is worthy. And you are worthy of her."